Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Hot (July 7, 2010)



We're in the middle of a heat wave, here in Toronto. It's extremely unpleasant. I've been somewhat concerned about the cats, since the dehumidifier I bought seems to pump out hot air and there's only so much the floor fan can do. This evening I found them stretched out, stupefied, on the bathroom floor--where the tiles provide a relative respite from the suffocating heat (often they wrap themselves around the base of the toilet). The only comfortable place for me is standing between two fans, seemingly weak streams of moving air hitting me from two directions.

The temperature on the Weather Network is deceptive; it claims this "feels like 43", but it really feels like 50. Just sitting in my chair I feel as if dribbles of perspiration are running down my legs--and perhaps they really are. I consume gallons of water and juice, and it leaks out slowly through my pores, covering me with a permanent sheen and causing ambient cat fur to adhere to my skin.

For the past couple of days it's been impossible to work at home, so I've haunted the local Starbucks (for shame!), which seems to have unlimited free wireless and a table placed conveniently next to an outlet. Today I spent four hours there with my laptop, enjoying the Germany-Spain football match (quite satisfied with the result) and completing notes for a paper for publication.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment